Since 1945, Catholic Community Services of Utah has been empowering people in need along the Wasatch Front to reach self-sufficiency. By giving strength to the weakest in our midst, CCS is able to lovingly serve and provide hope to those with the greatest need in our community regardless of race, religion or personal circumstance.
To the poor, the hungry and the homeless, we are help and hope.
To the refugee, we are safety and the promise of a brighter tomorrow.
To the immigrant, we are a path to acceptance and participation.
To the person immobilized by addictions, we are a road to recovery.
To the volunteer, we are an opportunity to serve.
Because we see a need, we are a voice for social change.
As an agency sponsored by the Catholic Diocese of Salt Lake City we will:
- Work in partnership with other social service organizations
- Respect diversity, individual needs, beliefs and values
- Be fiscally responsible to our donors
- Involve volunteers in fulfilling our mission
- Base our activities on the foundations of Catholic Social Teaching
Our mission is to practice gospel values of love, compassion and hope through service, support and collaboration.
Catholic Community Services of Utah (CCS) started in 1945 when Most Rev. Duane G. Hunt of the Catholic Diocese of Salt Lake City recognized the need for an organized effort to assist the poor and needy.
Starting from a tiny office, CCS has expanded to include four sites that deliver basic social services to those in need along the Wasatch Front and Northern Utah.
- 1945 - Started adoption, poverty assistance, foster care, family counseling and transient relief programs
- 1951 - Became a United Way agency
- 1955 - Established transient and emergency services
- 1967 - Opened The St. Vincent DePaul thrift shop
Started the Soup Kitchen to serve sandwiches to the homeless
- 1974 - Refugee Resettlement Program started by Rev. Terence M. Moore
- 1975 - Refugee Foster Care Program started to assist unaccompanied minor refugees
- 1981 - Elderly Outreach established
Immigration services added; aid to the disabled and the Utah Immigration Project in place
Name change to Catholic Community Services of Utah
- 1982 - Northern Utah services offered in Ogden
- 1983 - Marillac House established to provide safety and emergency protection for women and their children
- 1986 - St. Vincent de Paul Soup Kitchen and Thrift Store were destroyed by fire
- 1987 - St. Vincent de Paul Center rebuilt and re-opened
- 1989 - Kennecott Corporation donated its engineering building for CCS corporate/program offices
- 1993 - Robert Weyher donated a warehouse
Alsam Foundation helped build homeless day center
Women's Substance Abuse Program started
- 1994 - St. Mary's Home for Men joined the CCS family
Expansion of Northern Utah program with rental assistance program and food pantry
- 1995 - Established in-home care for persons with HIV/AIDS
- 1996 - New Bishop William K. Weigand Resource Center for the Homeless
- 2001 - Northern Utah operations officially designated as Food Bank
- 2007 - Consolidated and moved residential treatment programs and administration offices to one building.